Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Help! My Work Wardrobe Needs An Intervention


This week, one found herself in a position where things were happening too fast. Have you ever been in one of those situations where you just need a day to rest and assess the situation? I know this is all vague but I have a point, hear me out. I recently started this new and amazing job that is everything I have been longing for, for the past year and I thank God for it every single minute!

Only a few people know that I had a year off the corporate world. In that year I established my own business, finished my Master's Degree, did everything that made me happy and even did a bit of modelling. It was fun and all that but I am a grown ass woman, I have bills to pay and corporate ladders to climb thus I find myself here.

The first thing I noticed about being here is that the wardrobe requirements (though not communicated) state that I dress in business suits and look like a woman who means serious business all the time. Now this is a challenge for me given the fact that I gave away my entire work wardrobe (I know I can be crazy at times, don't judge ha ha ha) and I am only left with a wardrobe that is "weekend appropriate". A "weekend appropriate" wardrobe comprises of short skirts, short dresses, denim of all colors and makes, shirts, thigh-high boots, colorful shoes, bright lipstick....you get where I am going with this right?



My current wardrobe, which just won't cut it in this corporate world.


So, I have made a mental note of all the items I need to make up my appropriate corporate wardrobe. This may or may not help you but I figure from the Twitter re-tweets I have been getting, a lot of us need this.

*The Black Suit
This can be in the form of a pants suit or a skirt suit. Black is a good color because it will give you options to wear it with many other different items.
If you get the skirt suit, make sure the skirt is a pencil skirt.


*The Formal Shirt
A good fitting, good quality shirt is like a gift from the shirt-gods. Why are good shirts so hard to find? Well, if you do find one that does not cost an arm and a leg, buy it and buy it in all colors available!



*The Formal Dress(s)
Get the dress in dark colors and make sure the design is suitable for work.



*The Dark Pencil Heel
Pencil heels are good for work and they will ensure you always look good and presentable and that you don't abuse your really nice shoes (I mean the fancy ones) by wearing them at work.



The million dollar question that proceeds from this marvelous list of clothing items is, which bank am I robbing?

Side Note: Dear Universe, on the picture below is MY work wardrobe. Lets make it happen, please and thank you.


This is *ALL* I want.

2 comments: