Monday, May 20, 2013

Styled By The Kokonut Stylist - Article 3

The Best Thing To Have Happened To Swazi Fashion 



Astounding, artistic, diverse, non-conformist and extremely fashionable are some of the words one can use to depict the extremely talented Khulekani Msweli. He is the man, brains and work behind the full-of-inherent potential fashion brand called Jerem Paul.

In a studio nestled deep within the heart of Ezulwini in Mantenga, at the Yebo! Art Gallery  is where all the magic happens. As you walk into the art, design and fashion studio, you cannot help but marvel at the artistic flamboyance of the entire Jerem Paul boutique.



                  
 It is often said that fashion is a distinctive and often habitual trend in the style with which a person dresses and the entire Jerem Paul clothing collection fits that description perfectly, it is fashion! With garments made to be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing, I can bravely say that Jerem Paul is the best thing to have ever happened to Swazi Fashion. He has dressed and styled many a fashionistas in this country.




As a person who has been attending South African Fashion Weeks for the past four years and I am constantly covering fashion events via my fashion blog; I must say, I was pleasantly surprised to have found a gemstone like Khulekani in our own tiny Kingdom. Not only is he a fashion designer, he is also an interior design consultant for home, corporate and events decor as well as an all round artist. When I met him, a friend and I had visited his studio to source some items for a fashion show we were working on. After I told him about my undying love for fashion, Khulekani was excited to show me his winter vision board. His enthusiasm when describing his work is truly inspirational as it displays the passion he puts behind every piece of art he does. "I would rather not work on a show if I do not have the creative rights to be free as a designer and I cannot just allow my apparel to be used willy-nilly, I take pride in my work" Khulekani explained.



When I asked him what the inspiration was behind Jerem Paul brand, especially the studio, he said "Every boutique in Swaziland sort of looks like the next one, I wanted my studio to be an extension of my designs, it is not just clothing shop, I am a designer and my surroundings have to say that without me having to utter a word." As soon as he said that, I was immediately reminded of the American Show "The Next Great Artist" which was aired on Vuzu some time back. Basically it is a television show where highly talented up-and-coming artists compete for a solo exhibition at a  Museum and a cash prize of $100,000.00 . I thought to myself, Khulekani could have easily won that competition, he is a rare calibre of what a fashionable artist should be.



Such passion and willingness to work hard enough to want to only associate your brand with quality is not only commendable but also highly appreciated as it may just be what we need to establish a thriving Swazi Fashion Industry.


Jerem Paul gives on hope for the fashion industry in our country. I believe the likes of Khulekani have more than the required capability to not only deliver an entire fashion line for a Swaziland Fashion Week but to go even beyond our borders and represent us in a Proudly Swazi way.

If you are interested in all the amazing work Khulekani does, you can contact him via email on: jerempaul@gmail.com
Please follow this column and engage with us on:
For feedback, email: kokonutstylist@observer.org.sz
Written By: Koko Shabangu

No comments:

Post a Comment