Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Kokonut Stylist Featured In Kenya's First Online Fashion Magazine

Kenya recently launched their first ever online fashion magazine and yours truly had the honour of being featured in the premier issue of Kasha Magazine, together with two other bloggers from the UK and Canada *does a million happy dances*.! Thank you so much to Nancie Mwai and the other brains behind the lovely magazine.



Here is the interview if you cannot read what is on the picture:
Full Names: Koko Shabangu
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Birth country: Swaziland
Blog name: The Kokonut Stylist
How long have you been blogging? For exactly one year. I started on the 9th of March 2010.
What made you start a blog? I am VERY passionate about fashion and my friends would always tell me that I have to do something about it so I figured, its best I start a blog.
What’s your favourite music? I love and listen to almost all genres of music but my favourite has to be traditional African Music. From Nigerian kwasa-kwasa-reggae-inspired music to Mozambique’s Pasada to South African Maskandi to Swaziland’s Umbacango to Kenyan Benga music..I love, love it! I mostly love how there are now new afro-pop genres for the traditional music. I am very proud to be African.
Does it affect the way you dress? The music or my blog? (LOL). The music, no, at least not yet. My blog does affect the way I dress because I sometimes do a lot of research for an article I want to blog about and that broadens my sense of fashion. I love the fact that I am always discovering new things to add to my ever evolving ‘signature style’.
Any memorable moments you’ve experienced due to blogging?  Yeah. It has to be meeting wonderful fashion-forward people through my blog. I have met a few people whom I probably would not have met had it not been for my blog. The uber cool invites to fashion shows that I have received through my blog. Even though it’s still small in terms of followers, I have been exposed to many remarkable things and people just from blogging. Also, being approached to contribute a fashion piece to an online magazine has been the coolest experience ever. Lastly, viewing my blog stats and knowing that thousands of people read my blog, emotion.com, I can’t explain how great that feels.
Do people ask you to style them just because you have a blog? Mos def! For now its friends and a few people who follow my blog. They’ll be like “Koko, I’m going to such and such event, what must I wear?”  For me, that’s an incredible feeling, to know that people value my opinion enough to ask for style pointers from me.
Any tips you can give a newbie blogger who wants to make it in blogging? You have to do it for the love not just to have a blog because everyone has a blog. Nothing fuels success (however small) like the passionate fire that burns from deep within you. I personally can never put to words the ecstasy that fashion blogging brings to me. You also have to blog regularly, go out to relevant events and let people know about your blog. 
Kasha Magazine displays pure passion. From the way it was put together to ...my gosh everything, I could drool for days. It is honestly very inspiritional to a "fashionist" like myself.



Read Kasha Magazine (you will love it) and follow them on Twitter, details below:



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you loved it! Thanx again for agreeing to answer the questions!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a pleasure, so proud of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word I'm so proud of you nana!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks boo. I was soo excited when I saw it. Too rad!! *bows*

    ReplyDelete