Monday, July 15, 2013

Styled By The Kokonut Stylist - Article 10

The 2013 Durban July Fashion Police - Oh My Gosh!

I am almost certain that no one cares that a horse called Heavy Metal with jockey Smanga Khumalo won the main race at this year's Durban July held last week Saturday. I also  assume that not many people care that Smanga Khumalo was the first ever black person to win at this horseracing event or that about 50,000 people attended this year's Durban July. Yes? No?


Well, maybe that is because we all look forward to the fashion and that is perfectly normal. With a splendid theme as Posh, Oh My Gosh! one would think there would have been no fashion offenders at this years Durban July. I mean, how do you possibly go wrong with a Royal theme? Unfortunately in as much as there were a few and far apart fashion hits, there were, sadly, a lot of misses. Let's start with the good ones shall we?


When I first saw Top Billing presenter, Bonang Matheba's dress I thought 'how could Bonang of all people get this one wrong?' That was until I heard her rationale behind the bright-coloured floor length neon coloured dress. Bonang said "Everyone is focusing on the 'posh', so I decided to do the 'oh my gosh' part. Everyone who sees this dress goes 'wow' because of the neon colour." Smart  choice there Miss Matheba. She never seems to put a foot wrong when it comes to fashion.



TV presenter and Voice-Over Artist Roxy Burger was among my favourites. She interpreted the theme, kept it simple and dressed exactly as it stated. The pop of colour on the shoes was also a great touch.


Celebrity couple, Mbali Mlotshwa and husband Black Coffee looked every bit of classy in black and white. I love how Mbali went for pants as most people always think "dress" when dressing for the Durban July, defying boundaries is a fashion statement on its own.


Vuzu TV presenter, Dineo Moeketsi looked absolutely dazzling in a white dress with lovely neon highlights, it accentuates her figure perfectly.



I was left on the fence with Dineo Ranaka's dress. It has too many trends in one piece; puffy shoulders, peplum, leather and houndstooth. I do however love that her hair and make-up was almost natural and that gave the entire outfit a classy feel.


Minnie Dlamini's outfit was one big confusion for me. Its almost as if she wanted to make it fun and flirty but it just came off as messy. It more 'Oh my gosh why?'.


Muvhango actress Omuhle did a total misinterpretation of Kelly Rowland's Grammy Awards dress. I feel she could have made it a bit more figure-hugging. Word to the wise, if you copy something, make it better.


TV personality Samkelo Ndlovu is apparently wearing a E5,000.00 dress. For just satin and chiffon silk it sure is expensive. Expensive enough for her to want to wear it to big public events twice. It just looks too busy, over-accessorised and just wrong. Neither posh nor oh my gosh!


Let's hope next year's Durban July outfits will be more exciting than this year's ones. Maybe at the J & B Met in Cape Town in January we will be spoiled with good, creative and mostly original outfits.

Please follow this column and engage with us on:
For feedback, email: kokonutstylist@observer.org.sz
Written By: Koko Shabangu 

No comments:

Post a Comment